Indigenous songstress on the international stage

Shauntai Batzke, gospel and opera singer and songwriter, is a Wiradjuri woman who grew up in Sydney.

By Gabrielle Murphy

The daughter of one of Australia’s best, but unheralded boxing champions Wally Carr, Ms Batzke is one of the first Indigenous Australians to gain a Bachelor’s degree majoring in classical voice at the Victorian College of the Arts and Melbourne Conservatorium of Music.

So like her mentors, renowned Yorta Yorta soprano Deborah Cheetham AO and bass baritone and Yorta Yorta man Tiriki Onus, Ms Batzke is a trailblazer following in the footsteps of the very first Australian Indigenous opera singer Harold Blair.

“I was just seven when I first saw Whitney Houston on TV,” says Ms Batzke. “It was at that moment I realised there was a possibility of hope. To be what I feel I was born to be. To sing.”

In August, Ms Batzke travelled to New York City to attend summer school at the Belle Arti Center for the Arts as part of the Canto de las Americas – a workshop for aspiring artists in their vocal arts program.

The world is now her stage and this is her story.

This article was first published on Pursuit. Read the original article.